Cumann Pheadaír Naofa 2-10
Newry Shamrocks 3-7

With the U12 division 1 game being put back until Tuesday, the focus was on the U12 Division 4 fixture away to a strong and talented Newry Shamrocks side. Having gone down by only six points when the sides last met, it was hoped that the boys could put it up to the Newry side and possibly come away with a much sought after victory. Having travelled minus a few of regulars due to illness Cumann Pheadaír Naofa were slow out of the blocks in the first half, with Jack McGuigan in full back and Oisín O’Reilly playing exceptionally well when in possession the Newry lads found had to work hard for their scores and had to be content with shooting from distance. Again James McKibbon was reliable when facing down the shamrocks pressure and linked up well with his midfielders Finnén McCann, James Murphy and Jamie Powell. With some of these boys having suffered the disappointment during the week when they lost out in the Canon Esler Final, it looked like déjà vu when the shamrocks started to dominate a lacklustre blues first half performance and finally broke through for two goals as they deservedly went into the break ahead 2-5 to 0-4 having played the much better football.

At half time the Cumann Pheadaír Naofa lads gathered their composure after some motivational encouragement from managers Brian Powell & Dermot Donnelly and this half proved to be a much more exciting encounter and was thoroughly worthy of any division 1 affair. The young blues were inspiring to watch with Tiernan McGivern and Callan Morgan consistently finding holes in the Shamrocks defence and along with Rory Powell and the goal threat of Darragh Ruane proved to be a real headache for their opponent’s defence. Two points from Callan and a Jamie Powell score, adding to the two he got in the first half was followed by a fantastic Rory Powell goal, all of a sudden the blues were back in the game as Newry tried hard to control the now dominant blues defence with Tiernan Burns controlling the shamrocks danger man and chief scorer. Such was the overall prowess of the second half blues football that Newry were limited to just three scores in the second 25 minutes. James Murphy tagged on his third point after some good build up out of defence, an Oisín O’Reilly pass found Finnén McCann and his kick pass fell into the arms of James to drive over the bar. With five minutes remaining up popped the hard working Tiernan McGivern, when a high ball in to the forwards was prevented from going out and played back into him, he drove the ball to the back of the net and all of a sudden the blues were within minutes of the elusive victory they so thoroughly deserved when once again McGivern slotted over the bar and the Warrenpoint side took the lead. But the battling spirit of shamrocks once again surfaced when they managed to draw a free 20 metres out from the Warrenpoint goal and score the equaliser in what proved to be the final kick of the game.

Overall the management were most impressed with the improvement shown be this young side and had man of the match performances all over the park, as the boys development continues to improve.

CPN were: Tiernan McGivern 1-2, Rory Powell 1-0, Callan Morgan 0-2, James Murphy 0-3, Jamie Powell 0-3

By Dermot Sun 22nd May