U12 hurlers out hurl Ballycran

Tue 9th Aug Dermot

Cumann Pheadaír Naofa 3-6
Ballycran 1-0

Thursday night saw the U12s come out of their summer break when they played Ballycran at Milltown. When the sides last met back in June it proved to be a real thriller of a match with the blues coming out two point victors in a very evenly contested battle. Wanting to prove to the large crowd that win wasn’t just a flash in the pan the blues came out of the blocks first and with constant pressure on the Ballycran half back & full back line it was just a matter of time as to when they would be broken down. The first score of the game came from a Darragh Austin free, when he was fouled in possession of the sliotar and he confidently slotted the sliotar over the bar from 35 metres out. Ballycran had some outstanding players in their midfield and half back line and it was through these guys that the Ballycran side had their best plays. Had it not been for Matthew Duffy coming out and making an excellently timed tackle on the Ballycran half forward, when in full flight, then it was certain that the visitors would have registered the first goal of the game. The CPN defenders of James Sweeney and Mark Campbell were consistently out in front of their men and gave the Ballycran forwards very little possession and time on the sliotar. In midfield Liam O’Connor and Tiernan Kelly were without doubt the two best players on the field and caused the ‘Ards side no end on headaches throughout the game. It was the tackling, blocking running with the sliotar and constant long quick ball into the forwards that made the two blues midfielders such standout players. When Darragh Austin gathered the sliotar, stepped around his marker and delivered a long ball into the square it was the stick of Ben Lock who got the sliotar first to knock the sliotar home from two yards. Oran Murney was quick to add to the lead when he flighted over a fantastic point from way out on the wing. The blues were now 5 points up, but Ballycran struck back with a goal of their own to narrow the gap. Again Oran Murney was left unmarked and free out on the wing and he duly punished the slack marking of his opponent, just before the half time whistle.

The second started out much the same as the first with the intensity of the blues hurling cranked up a notch. Liam O’Connor registered the first score of the half with a pile driver of a shot that could so easily have found the back of the net. But the large support didn’t have too long to wait for the second goal, Oisín Ruane who had another great day in the blue jersey found himself 15 metres in front of goal and with two Ballycran defenders quickly closing him down he unleashed a bullet of a shot that gave the Ballycran keeper no chance. Caolan Freer and Jarlath Donnelly were getting out in front of their men and were giving in some intelligent deliveries into the hands of Conaire McMahon and Oisín Ruane in front of goal. Liam O’Connor pointed another free and when Tiernan Kelly chipped in with a point from 40 metres the game was well and truly won. With time almost up it was danger man Oisín Ruane who once more found himself in front of goal after a pass from Darragh Austin and although completely surrounded by back and amber shirts he somehow managed to squeeze the sliotar over the line for his second goal of the game.

CPN were: Oisín Ruane 2-0, Ben Lock 1-0, Oran Murney 0-2, Liam O’Connor 0-2, Darragh Austin 0-1, Tiernan Kelly 0-1.

Related News

View All


Proud sponsors of St. Peter’s GAA Club Warrenpoint